[Xcb] XCB Build Questions

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sat Jul 24 13:59:15 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 02:54:25PM -0500, Ian Radtke wrote:
> As a long-time coder and Linux user, I've a comparatively simple CVS
> question...  Having never really tried my hand at compiling any CVS
> source material I'm a bit out of my league without the traditional
> configure, make, make install process already prepared.

You're in luck! That's still the right process. :-) You just have to run
autogen.sh first, which you're doing.

> Following the process on the XCB page, I've checked out all the
> required packages.  My first hurdle (admittedly somewhat off topic) is
> trying to build and install Xproto.  No instructions are included in
> the source tree;

Yeah, freedesktop.org has the same trouble with documentation as most of
the rest of the free software world.

> thus far I've run the autogen.sh script but following that up with
> 'make' returns "Nothing to be done for 'all'".  What do I need to do?

Nothing: this isn't an error for this package. (You'll see the same
thing from xcb-proto.) These modules exist only to install header files,
which don't require any preparation, so just continue to the `make
install` step and everything will be fine. I've updated the comments on
the XCB web page: I could see this becoming a FAQ.

> I came to XCB after concluding that random X bugs in my multi-threaded
> astronomical image acquisition, frame reduction and quasi-realtime
> light curve program were external to my code.  Further research showed
> that shoddy thread support in Xlib was a fine bet for the cause of my
> errors.

Sounds like a good reason to me! Unfortunately, XCB is still rather
bleeding-edge software. While I believe it is correct, there's very
little software out there using it yet.

I'm actually counting on that, since we're doing some API revisions
right now in preparation for an API freeze and, hopefully soon, a real
release of XCB.

So if you can accept a bit of unpredictability for a few more weeks,
then I'd love to help you switch your application to XCB. I'll be happy
to answer further questions. You'll probably also want to subscribe to
this list, though.

> Thanks for your patience and advice with my CVS ignorance...

It sounds like you're managing CVS just fine. The *proto modules are
just a little bit unusual...
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/