[Xcb] xcb-util make error

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Tue Dec 26 11:50:23 PST 2006

On Dec 26, 2006, at 3:24 AM, Christer Sandvik wrote:

> Jamey Sharp wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 11:27:34AM +0100, Christer Sandvik wrote:
>>
>>> Hallå!
>>>

>> Wiktionary says that's Swedish; is that right? Neat. I like seeing
>> examples of languages I don't know. :-)
>>
> Ja, det kan vara intressant ibland inte sant? = Yes, it can be
> interesting some times not true?

Cool! At a previous job, my boss was Swedish.

>>> I need it for evas which won't compile without, directfb which
>>> needs libsdl which is down and also librsvg and valgrund and xcb-
>>> util errors and git won't (I'm under apple-powerpc-darwin) and
>>> glib errors in making too. Is there patches? Or can you share
>>> your skills on this problem?
>>>

>> First, would you ask this question on the mailing list? Ian Osgood
>> builds XCB on MacOS X, and Vincent has done all the work of
>> porting evas
>> to XCB; they're probably better equipped to answer your question
>> than I
>> am.
>>
> Out there Ian? If you see, please answer me. Anyone has his private
> e-mail address please share it.

I have not compiled git directly. I use Darwin Ports for installing
git, missing pieces of the GNU toolchain and extra libraries.
(http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ and http://www.macports.org/)

Fink is also a popular distribution, if you prefer the Debian apt-get
installers.

You certainly at least need to upgrade automake.  Version 1.7 is
required, but the default OS X build tools only give you 1.6.3.

>> If your only trouble with XCB is that the released xcb-util tarball
>> won't build, then the best we can do is try to help troubleshoot what
>> goes wrong when you run
>> 	git-clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xcb/util
>> If you're having trouble installing git, again, you'll need to ask
>> for
>> help with that from people who know the MacOS X environment.

This is our fault. We have neglected to release new xcb-util and xcb-
demo packages to keep up with the Great Renaming of
XCBCapitalizedSymbols to xcb_underscore_functions and
XCB_CAPITALIZED_CONSTANTS. Parts of xcb-util have also been upgraded
to the new error handling mechanisms.

Although Jamey has modestly claimed that xcb-util is of poor quality,
certain of the utility libraries are vital to real world XCB use.
xcb-aux and xcb-renderutil would be used by any real XCB app. Besides
evas, the cairo library's XCB backend also won't work with the last
released xcb-renderutil.

Ian