[Xcb] doxygen and documentation

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sat Nov 4 11:25:35 PST 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 03:12:07PM +0100, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> >I think what we concluded was that we'd like to have a `make doc`
> >target, as you suggest. But we don't want it to run automatically; we
> >don't want the results to go into distribution tarballs; and we don't
> >want to require that people have Doxygen installed to build XCB.
> >
> >So I think the patch is ...
> >Did you have something else in mind?
>
> Yes, I have :
>
>  1) add in configure a check of doxygen. If it does not exists, make the
> build of the doc unable.
>  2) add --enable-doc as an option of configure (by default enabled, if
> doxygen is found, of course).
>  3) the doc rule (as you suggested) not being part of the all rule. But
> add also a rule to install it (in $datadir)

'install-doc', perhaps? Sure. (Is datadir the right place? I think we
want htmldir.)

I don't think it's necessary to disable the doc target at configure
time: if someone types 'make doc' and it fails, it'll be pretty obvious
why. But on the other hand, it's not that hard to do. I'll leave it up
to you.

This is certainly a good idea. Sorry it took me so long to get back to
you: feel free to write and commit this change.

--Jamey