[Xcb] pthread-stubs required for libxcb?

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Sat Nov 25 12:35:52 PST 2006

Josh Triplett wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> configure for libxcb uses pkg-config to check for pthread-stubs.
>>
>> Would it be okay to have a configure switch to not require the
>> pthread-stubs?
>
> No; doing so safely would require including the same logic from pthread-stubs
> into configure.ac, to check if the platform libc provides all the necessary
> stubs, and we wanted to factor that *out* of XCB.  However, if you don't want
> xcb.pc to require pthread-stubs when buliding software which uses libxcb, we
> could make configure.ac check if pthread-stubs provides any libs or cflags,
> and if not, avoid putting it in NEEDED to get substituted into xcb.pc.in.
> That might make things easier on libxcb users.

And for that matter, if we split off the PKG_CHECK_MODULES call for
pthread-stubs, which we'd have to do to implement this logic, you could then
run configure like this if you *know* pthread-stubs would have no content on
your platform, because a standard link provides *all* of the pthread functions
pthread-stubs has stubs for:

export PTHREAD_STUBS_CFLAGS= ; export PTHREAD_STUBS_LIBS= ; ./configure

However, considering that in that case pthread-stubs would have just installed
pthread-stubs.pc and nothing else, you could also just install it and get the
same effect.

- Josh Triplett