[Xcb] old XCBSync question

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Sat Sep 9 14:59:09 PDT 2006

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Ian Osgood wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2006, at 11:17 PM, Vincent Torri wrote:
>
>> for the evas engine, I have to call in the same function several time
>> XCBSync. Don't ask me why. Ask raster :)
>
> All right... WHY, RASTER, WHY??? Syncing makes baby Jesus cry.
>
> Seriously, we've been looking for provable Sync use cases. Please have raster
> forward his reasons to the list, especially for something as heinous as
> multiple Syncs in one function. Attach code if you need to.

Iirc, when I asked him why, he answered me that these calls where there to
sync the server when someone uses a client from a very distant from the
server (with a ssh connection, for example).

>> As it is deprecated, I replace it by a call of XCBGetInputFocusReply
>
> No, just use XCBAuxSync from xcb-util instead, if you must.

I do not agree right now : I can remove some round trips when I separate
the request and the reply.

>> My question is : Can I call XCBGetInputFocusUnchecked once and
>> XCBGetInputFocusReply several times later ? Is it necessary to call
>> XCBGetInputFocusUnchecked each time I want to sync the connection ?
>
> Yes, each XCB*Reply matches one request. No shortcuts.

I suppose that the answer to the first question is 'no', and to the second
one is 'yes'.

thank you.

Vincent