[Xcb] GIT repo split done

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Mon Sep 25 09:07:15 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 12:51 AM, Josh Triplett wrote:

> Josh Triplett wrote:
>> Jamey and I wrote a Python script "git-split" to split a subdirectory
>> out of GIT repository and rewrite history accordingly, dropping
>> commits
>> irrelevant to that subdirectory.  I've run the script against the XCB
>> repo, generated six separate project repositories, and put them up on
>> git.freedesktop.org.  You can check out these repositories via git or
>> anongit just like the XCB repo; use the prefix
>> git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xcb/ and the repo names demo.git,
>> libXamine.git, proto.git, util.git, xcb.git, and xhsb.git.  Please
>> take
>> a look at these repositories via inspection and gitk, explore the
>> history, and generally play around with them.
>
> Having let this gel for a bit, and having received feedback from Ian,
> we've re-done the split with the current repo to incorporate
> additional
> recent commits, and we want to make this split permanent now.  I added
> the appropriate update hooks in the new repos to update CIA and send
> commit mails, and Jamey added an update hook in the old monolithic xcb
> repo to prevent commits there.  Please use the new repos for new
> commits.
>
>> Note that gitweb doesn't seem to know about them yet; I don't know
>> what
>> we need to do to make that happen.
>
> We still need to fix this.
>
> - Josh Triplett

Looks good! I see some of other changes worth mentioning:
* a new package and library libxcb-xlib
* XML descriptions are now installed in ($datadir), typically share/xcb
* headers are now installed in include/xcb instead of include/X11/XCB
* extension XML and headers are now installed directly in xcb, not
xcb/extensions

(Question: does 'make install' remove the files from the obsolete
locations?)

I updated the DevelopersGuide wiki page for the split repositories.
Please review.

What is the plan for grafting the CVS history onto the split
repositories?

Ian