[Xcb] Few questions about the X selections

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:51:24 PST 2008

On Saturday, 26 January 2008 18:42:19 Thomas Adam wrote:
> Hello --
>
> Don't cross-post like this.  I've removed the Cc to the xorg list,
> since I am not subscribed to it.  Have more consideration next time.

Why this is considered harmfull?
Ok, if it is I won't cc the xcb list.

I just asked few questions, and
Barton C Massey told me that  I should ask X related questions on xorg mailing list too,
So I asked on both... sorry if this is bad.

> On 26/01/2008, Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on my own X toolkit, and I am now facing the hard part, the ICCCM, or the "ICE Cube: the Lethal weapon....", :-)
>
> Why are you writing your own toolkit?  Waste of time.
Did you read my letter...

> > Anyway, is there a tool to debug the X selections.
> > Like to send the ConvertSelection with various types, see the owner of the selection, and so on...
> >
> > It isn't hard at all to write one, but it still takes some time.
>
> Well, that depends.  xev and xscope might help you.
Well, I use xev, but thanks for xscope, I never knew about this tool, thanks

> > I am only aware now of xprop/xwininfo/xlsatoms, and xdpyinfo of course.
>
> They're deterministic after the fact.
>
> > Besides all the information about the parts of ICCCM that are still relevant, and those that I can ignore is welcome.
>
> All of it is relevant.  Don't go and do what the EWMH has done, and
> shun bits of it.
Thanks, I did read the EWMH, this document only adds few things, but says little about the ICCCM.

> -- Thomas Adam

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky