[Xcb] Your GSOC proposal: "Complete input support for XCB"

Christoph Reimann chrr at arcor.de
Fri Apr 9 04:01:34 PDT 2010

Peter, thanks again for your answer!

> The technical side is likely to be fairly straight-forward (if you like
> python).

I looked at the XML bindings Mariusz did last year, it appears to me
that there are 5 new elements:
enumref, switch, unop, sumof, popcount.
So for all remaining elements the C language binding is fixed anyway
by the current generator code. From what I understood so far, mapping
of enumref, unop, sumof and popcount should be straight forward in C
as Mariusz designed these with explicit C bindings in mind if I quote
the mailing list correctly.

> The hard part is figuring out what the generated C API ought to
> look like when you're done updating the generator.

This is still not perfectly clear to me - if the mapping of the new
elements would be straight forward, the C API generated from those
should be as well (?). I looked through Mariusz's posts on the mailing
list but did not find much related to the actual language mapping.
Before submitting a proposal I would like to understand what the time
determining steps would be (in another mailing list post -
http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg@lists.freedesktop.org/msg10998.html -
you stated that only the language binding would probably be enough for
one GSoC project - I guess you don't mean the autogenerated binding here?).
At the moment I would suggest
- completing the keyboard related stuff for the core protocol first
(ie implement the missing functions like XLookupString) first
- then generate the C language bindings from xkb.xml
- extend the keyboard related functions in xcb/util with XKB
functionality (ie do what Xlib does).

Thank you for your patience,
all the best

Christoph