[Xcb] planning to remove xprint, libxprintutil and related packages

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Apr 21 07:55:08 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 04:22:17PM +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21 2011, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > cc: xcb maintainers: should you keep libxcb-xprint0 ? Do we need to talk
> > about this? libxcb-xprint0 has no relation (in a packaging sense) to
> > xprint.
>
> I see no harm providing it. It exists, so we can just let it be. Nothing
> depends on it I guess, and nothing should ever depends on it, but I
> don't see any good reason not to build it either.
>
> If you really want to hide that Xprint ever existed, maybe that'd be a
> reason to stop building that package, otherwise, I don't see really any.
> :)

Speaking as both a Debian user and an XCB developer:

- I think we'll leave xprint.xml in xcb-proto forever, because it's
  protocol documentation that may be useful to somebody.

- In libxcb master, I'd be happy to change configure.ac to default to
  not building xprint. I'd personally continue building it because I
  build all known extensions, just to check for build regressions, but
  there's no reason everybody else needs to.

- For Debian, while I can't argue with your point, Julien, that "I don't
  see any good reason not to build it," I also don't see any good reason
  *to* build it, and I have a lot of sympathy with wanting to "hide that
  Xprint ever existed." :-)

Jamey