[Xcb] Are the util-common-m4 submodules relative on purpose?

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 23 18:38:45 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 00:52 +0100, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     > Hi, I mean this in .gitmodules:
>     >     [submodule "m4"]
>     >         path = m4
>     >         url = ../util-common-m4.git
>
>     > instead of:
>     >     [submodule "m4"]
>     >         path = m4
>     >         url = git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xcb/util-common-m4
>
> Yes, it  is relative  on purpose.  There  are several reasons  for this,
> such as  being easier  for developers  (you may want  to write  code for
> util-common-m4 and test it in util-wm

A relative url neither helps nor hinder.

>  or publish your own util-common-m4
> somewhere along with util,

No url will be able to point at 2 different repos with the same name.

>  without modifying .gitsubmodules) and you may
> not want to use git protocol.

Why would you not want to use a git url? This is what all modules use.

> Also, as Gaetan pointed out, if a developer wants to make a copy of util
> repository on  people.fdo, then he  will have to copy  util-common-m4 as
> well but I don't really think that's really an issue.

Not a big issue, it's done rarely.

I don't see any benefits in using a relative url and a minor issue when
cloning a containing
repo using the submodule.

Was the relative url typed in or create by the "git submodule add"
command?
It just doesn't "feel" right. I can't find anything really bad about it
yet,
but I surprised you found "several reasons" for choosing it.