[Xcb] Are the util-common-m4 submodules relative on purpose?

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at andesi.org
Wed Mar 23 18:49:29 PDT 2011

Hi,

    >> Yes, it is relative on purpose.  There are several reasons for
    >> this, such as being easier for developers (you may want to write
    >> code for util-common-m4 and test it in util-wm

    > A relative url neither helps nor hinder.

If you want  to publish your own copy of util*  somewhere else, then you
will have  to modify .gitsubmodules (and  perform a commit  for that) to
match the location of your repositories AFAIK.

    >> without modifying .gitsubmodules) and you may not want to use git
    >> protocol.

    > Why would you not want to  use a git url? This is what all modules
    > use.

And SSH?

    > Was the relative url typed in or create by the "git submodule add"
    > command?   It just  doesn't "feel" right.   I can't  find anything
    >  really bad  about  it yet,  but  I surprised  you found  "several
    > reasons" for choosing it.

As I said before, it was done on purpose (e.g. I explicitely specified a
relative URL to "git submodule add").

Cheers,
Arnaud