[Xcb] documentation patches

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Mon Mar 26 12:08:54 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:16:26PM +0200, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Excerpts from Josh Triplett's message of 2012-03-26 19:59:49 +0200:
> > issues.  I'd strongly recommend using the technical changes you've made
> > as a base (constructing manpages and embedding documentation) and
> > merging in the X protocol documentation to provide the actual text.
> > (That text might well need editing, but merge it in verbatim at first.)
> That’s what I’ve been doing in quite a few places, actually.
>
> I have to admit that I hate the X protocol documentation. It’s so old and ugly
> to read and understand. I have been trying to make all of this a bit fresher,
> and I recognize that this has the potential of introducing unclear passages or
> even errors. We should just fix these as we notice them, and enjoy good and
> attractive, real-world oriented documentation in the end.

I agree that the X protocol documentation could use some fixing.  Please
don't do that while simultaneously merging it into the protocol
descriptions. :)  Consider just blindly copying all of it, and *then*
starting to fix it, so that among other things we have a full version
control history of the fixes, and we can see those fixes as reviewable
patches to make sure that no semantic breakage occurs.

- Josh Triplett