[Annoyances] X-Windows Copy & Paste

Marko Macek Marko.Macek at gmx.net
Tue Aug 19 08:46:27 EEST 2003

Jason Gurtz wrote:
> On 8/18/2003 12:46 AM, Reilly Burke wrote:
>
>>This is another REALLY BIG Linux annoyance.  I'm a desktop kind of guy,
>>and I like to cut/copy and paste all day long.  But Linux has really
>>really bad cut/copy and paste [...]
>

> Actualy, Linux and other UNIXen have pretty good cut/copy and paste
> *provided* you have a 3 button mouse.  Both in X and using GPM in the
> console, simply selecting text with the first button copies that into
> the buffer and third button pastes.

This is not cut/copy/paste. It works differently from Ctrl+XVC and is
completely separate from it. It really annoys me when people advertize
this as cut&paste.

Technical explanation here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards-spec/clipboards.txt

It would be really good if there was a standard way to disable this
behavior globally for all applications.

There are some important applications that confuse this, like xterm
(still the best terminal emulator). It uses Shift+Ins to paste primary
selection and doesn't support the clipboard at all.

Opinions?

Mark