Menu Specification Comments

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jun 14 22:51:41 EEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:38:52PM +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> 1.) This specification does not create a valid xml file, xml files
> must have a unique root element. I propose to use xdg-menu.

It has the root element <Menu> - you aren't allowed to have two root
elements. Not sure I understand this issue.

> 2.) Global vs. local scope: At the moment there seems to be a
> mixture between global and local scope in the specification. If we
> add the xdg-menu root element we can specify a global scope of
> .desktop/.directory elements in this node and then, if needed, the
> menu entries can also add a local scope to this.

I don't understand this comment. The spec is fully recursive; nothing
has global scope AFAIK.

> 2.) And/Or/Not Nodes: Can you give me an example how they should be
> used?

To create menus that are an intersection or union of multiple
categories. e.g. if you have an Internet and a Web Browser
menu, you want to remove web browsers from your internet menu.

> 3.) Categories: Following categories should be added in my opinion:

These will also need a gloss - "what they mean"

Havoc