Menu Specification Comments

Heinrich Wendel sysop at heinospage.de
Fri Jun 13 22:38:52 EEST 2003

Hi,

I took a closer look at the "Menu Specification" and here are some suggestions
and questions:

1.) This specification does not create a valid xml file, xml files must have a
unique root element. I propose to use xdg-menu.

2.) Global vs. local scope: At the moment there seems to be a mixture between
global and local scope in the specification. If we add the xdg-menu root
element we can specify a global scope of .desktop/.directory elements in this
node and then, if needed, the menu entries can also add a local scope to
this.

2.) And/Or/Not Nodes: Can you give me an example how they should be used?

3.) Categories: Following categories should be added in my opinion:

LogicGame
KidsGame
Toy
Biologie
Geophysics
Debugger
DevTool
Finance
Database
Graphs
PDA
Replace Audio&Video with Multimedia
Audio
Graphics
Video
CD
Documentation
WebBrowser
InstantMessaging
IRCClient
Newsreader
FileTransfer
Email
RemoteAccess
FileManager
Engineering
Archiving

You can find another good post with suggestions here:
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2002-July/msg00072.html

mfg, Heinrich :)