Menu Specification Comments

Filip Van Raemdonck mechanix at debian.org
Mon Jun 16 13:12:15 EEST 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:55:46AM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2003 10:35, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 07:07:21PM +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
> > >
> > > KidsGame (A game for kids)
> >
> > Why should these be differentiated?
>
> That is the nice part of this new standard. If you want to have them all
> lumped together you can achieve that by choosing a proper set of criteria in
> your applications.menu file while other people can choose to have them in
> sub-menus of their own. Just because you don't need it as category doesn't
> mean others don't need it either.

But how do you define a kids game? Getting back to the character thing,
does the same game with Tux instead of Elmo make it not a kids game?

Is it about age? If so, how do you define a kids game? For kids <5y, <7y,
<10y? Who'll says some 7y old kid isn't capable of playing some
card/logic/whatever game which at the same time may be perceived as hard
even by certain adults?

The only useful qualifier I can see is a rating system, for games which
may contain foul language, excessive violence, or other content deemed as
inappropriate. But note my choice of words: that's a _qualifier_, not a
category. ISTR the addition of something like qualifiers being discussed
before, but from a quick reading it isn't in the current version of the
draft on freedesktop.org.
(And note also that rating is still a hard issue to crack, but it's not
relevant to this list)

I'm not opposed to applications fitting in multiple categories. But it's
counterproductive IMO to add new categories which have nothing to offer
over existing ones.

> > > Debugger (A code debugger)
> >
> > Is it necessary to specify this beyond "Development"?
> >
> > > DevTool (A development tool)
> >
> > And how is this different from "Development"?
>
> Why should it be different? It is a refinement.

As for "Debugger" I agree it is, although I'm somewhat opposed to it on
grounds of the `overcategorization' thing.

However, what refinement is "DevTool - A development tool" over
"Development - An application for development"?

Regards,

Filip

--
BlueScreen uglifies wizards, so turn it off
	-- read when binary-viewing a raw NT partition