Menu Specification Comments

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Jun 16 13:41:54 EEST 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 12:12, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:55:46AM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >
> > > Why should these be differentiated?
> >
> > That is the nice part of this new standard. If you want to have them all
> > lumped together you can achieve that by choosing a proper set of criteria
> > in your applications.menu file while other people can choose to have them
> > in sub-menus of their own. Just because you don't need it as category
> > doesn't mean others don't need it either.
>
> But how do you define a kids game?

"A game aimed at children"

> Getting back to the character thing,
> does the same game with Tux instead of Elmo make it not a kids game?
>
> Is it about age? If so, how do you define a kids game? For kids <5y, <7y,
> <10y? Who'll says some 7y old kid isn't capable of playing some
> card/logic/whatever game which at the same time may be perceived as hard
> even by certain adults?

It's not about rating, it's about intention. I can use OpenOffice as a code
editor, does that make it a development tool or IDE?

> > > Is it necessary to specify this beyond "Development"?

> > > And how is this different from "Development"?
> >
> > Why should it be different? It is a refinement.
>
> As for "Debugger" I agree it is, although I'm somewhat opposed to it on
> grounds of the `overcategorization' thing.

You need some level of "overcategorization" in order to create opportunities
to actually make different menu arrangements.

> However, what refinement is "DevTool - A development tool" over
> "Development - An application for development"?

That one does indeed add little value.

Cheers,
Waldo
- --