Proposed Browser Bookmark Sharing Standard.

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 28 06:59:22 EEST 2003

On 27 Jun 2003 13:32:13 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> Writing standards for the sake of it doesn't seem like a really useful
> thing, especially when the various browsers are already reasonably
> interoperable.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Standards *must* serve a purpose.

IMO, browsers are insufficiently interoperable. I believe that users
should be able to switch browsers transparently, without having to go
through an intermediate step of 'importing bookmarks'. That is
housekeeping that the system ought to be doing for him.

We need to fix the current view that bookmarks are the browser's data.
They aren't -- they're the user's data.

I have nothing invested in this particular method of sharing data. If
the consensus is that it sucks then it sucks. I wouldn't want that to
obscure the underlying objective of transparent interoperability.

My main aim of posting it was to get folks who understand the problem
better than I to start talking about it.

My questions are:

1. Is what I am suggesting desirable and practical?

2. Is it really worth the effort?

3. Is looking at bookmarking and history sufficient to achieve
transparent interoperability?

3. If yes to all of the above, what is the best way of achieving this
goal?

-- b