Proposed Browser Bookmark Sharing Standard.

Christophe Fergeau teuf at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 27 14:32:13 EEST 2003

> xbel means xml bookmark exchange language, and seems suitable more for
> import/export of bookmarks, less for sharing bookmarks and working
> together with the same set of bookmarks. Serveral applications that writes bookmarks
> at the same time using xbel would risk writing over each others
> changes. This is something I think this new proposal solves better.

On the other hand, I think you'd get a huge penalty when the bookmarks
are read for the first time with many small desktop files (you generally
have many more bookmarks than installed apps).

> Perhaps this is not reason enough to change standard, but I think it is
> sane and fits well with other freedesktop standards.

Writing standards for the sake of it doesn't seem like a really useful
thing, especially when the various browsers are already reasonably
interoperable.

Christophe