shared-mime-info's terminology

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Wed Nov 19 17:11:33 EET 2003

Am So, den 16.11.2003 schrieb Christian Rose um 18:21:
> sön 2003-11-16 klockan 02.44 skrev Christian Neumair:
> > Some days ago our translation guru over at GNOME (Christian Rose, aka
> > menthos) pointed out that shared-mime-info should be translated.
> > I tried to do so and noted the following:
> [...]
> > Although I really like the idea of a shared mime system, I fear that it
> > might result in some kind of chaos if we don't have unified notation
> > rules.
>
> See https://www.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-November/msg00086.html
> ;-)
>

> > I'd even volunteer for improving the situation, we just need agreements
> > :)
>
> That's excellent! You can probably start with using the guidelines for
> descriptions in gnome-vfs/doc/mime-descriptions-guidelines.txt -- so far
> noone has objected to using it. Also, the existing terminology and
> spellings in gnome-mime-data can probably be a useful reference.
I sat down some hours and prepared the attached patch.
I un-expanded all the funky useless tla expansions and tried to unify
terminology. Note that now all strings not beginning with a
vendor/software are uncapitalized since you may want to use it within
sentences, too.
Could you please test this patch and tell me whether you like it from a
translator's point of view?

regs,
 Chris