Where next?

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Mon Apr 5 00:00:33 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 14:25, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> I have realised that. I have installed gnome-volume-manager, and will have
> a ply with that, but I would prefure something more system wide, a daemon
> possibly, so I have started looking at removing all the gnome specific
> stuff and re-creating the gvm as a shell utility.

In CVS HEAD, HAL has callouts, so it would be pretty simple to write a
shell script which is dropped into the device.d directory and mounts
volumes as they become available.  If your plan is to just do mount
volumes with a systemwide policy, though, you probably don't need HAL at
all and can do this with udev callouts.

> This is the first time I've done something like this though so it may go
> nowhere. If I get something to a point at which others may want to look at
> it, is this a good place to post about it?

Sure, as good a place as any.

Joe