[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos at pemas.net
Thu Apr 22 01:37:46 EEST 2004

El jue, 22-04-2004 a las 00:12, +0200, Peter "Firefly" Lund escribió:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Avi Alkalay wrote:
>
> > > I think an evolutionary approach is more like to succeed than a
> > > revolutionary
> >
> > LR is not a revolution. I think it is just a kick for the begining of an
> > evolution. A lot of ecosystem must be built around it.
>
> What benefits does your system have compared to Gnome System Tools?

As a side note, GNOME System Tools have some scripts that mainly
read /etc files and generate a predefined XML file which is represented
with a GNOME frontend (some KDE utils start using also those scripts
now) so they get a distribution abstraction with a UI that only needs to
know about the XML file format, it lets you also execute some commands
from the XML file like bringing up/down network interfaces.

The idea behind GNOME system tools is similar tu Config4Gnu but
Config4GNU wants to bring the abstraction to the extreme so you don't
need to design a specific GUI configuration tool. But this is out of the
scope of this thread and was talked here already some months ago.

> -Peter, who sees absolutely no benefits in LR but lots of "malefits" ;)

My opinion is that the problem LR wants to fix is a real problem, but I
don't share the way it tries to fix it, I think it's easier and less
intrusive a solution like GNOME System Tools backends or config4GNU, you
get easier UI development to configure your system but you don't need to
change ALL systems and lose compatibility with old systems to get this
goal, if you don't like XML you can use a system like LR instead.

Cheers.