DM communication standard

George jirka at 5z.com
Tue Aug 10 04:25:05 EEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:16:36AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:19:56AM -0700, George Lebl wrote:
> > I will take a look at it ...
> >
> thanks.
>
> > But I'm really not keen on using fifo's rather then a single socket.
> >
> i think you forgot too much. ;)
> fifos are the old way and they suck.
> the new way are unix sockets, just like in gdm. not one socket, as i use
> the path for both identifying and authenticating the client (you liked
> this, remember? :).

Ahhh, I misread "what i did is more like kdm's old fifo" thinking that you
are still using some fifo setup ... I think I'm starting to remember now.

> > Since the only reasonable application that ever wants to call this is
> > the session manager I don't see this as a big issue.
> >
> hmm. for the fast user switching stuff i will need (almost) the same
> code in kicker, kdesktop and kdesktop_lock. and then of course the
> shutdown stuff in ksmserver. this multiplied with gdm ... sounds like a
> candidate for a library.

Hmmm ... What I was thinking for the gdm stuff is just have a file that gets
cut and pasted all over.  This can be easily updated and then there's no need
to keep stable api or whatnot.  If it is really similar to gdm I suppose a
lot of the code would be similar anyway for the client side.

> > I think in the star trek future we should be using d-bus. [...] Since
> > I think this will happen at some point, I consider any other change in
> > protocol temporary and thus unnecessary and a complete waste of time
> > [...].
> >
> uhm, well, for gdm that's sort of true. do whatever you want ...

Of course I was talking about gdm above.  I mean I suppose the old fifo kde
code was not good enough for the requirements of the user switching and all
that.  For gdm what we have currently works GoodEnough(tm) ...

If it turns out that dbus never happens for the dm's or some such I suppose I
can switch over to what you have in kdm at some later stage ...

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   You have the right to food money providing of course you don't mind a little