keyboard shortcuts

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Wed Aug 11 22:16:04 EEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:53:51PM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:

> > So shift-arrow works, as long as my keyboard focus doesn't happen to be
> > in a text entry box on a web page?  What if my home page is google,
> > which moves the keyboard automatically into a text entry box?
>
> keyboard based text area selection makes no sense in an empty text entry
> box.

So shift-right arrow acts differently only when my keyboard focus is in an
entry box that contains some text?  In fact, shift-right arrow also makes
no sense if my cursor is at the *end* of the text; you might as well change
tabs then too.

> I assume that whenever you use the keyboard based text selection you firstly
> use the mouse to point to the relevant area (focus selection on the text
> area)?!

Google moves the focus automatically to an entry box, and other
well-designed forms may do the same.  If I pop up a new Mozilla
tab in google and the focus jumps automatically to the entry box, then I
start shifting rapidly through my tabs, it'll *stop* on the google tab
because my focus is on an entry box there.

I don't think it's going to work.  I think alt-left and alt-right are
available, however.

Have fun,

Avery