RPMs and *.desktop files

Julius Schwartzenberg julius at zgod.cjb.net
Wed Mar 3 19:48:24 EET 2004

George schreef:

>The categories will NOT show up in the menu, they are just keywords, they
>don't refer to particular menu folders.  A folder has to be set up to
>query for those categories that are defined in the .desktop file, otherwise
>the .desktop file will end up in some catch all menu folder like
>Applications.  I suppose you are using categories for which standard SuSE
>menus don't query, which is quite OK.  Standard distribution menus are not
>likely to have folders defined for everything.  They can, but most likely
>they won't.  That's why you should include all relevant categories so that
>for example if the menus query for a more general one but not for a specific
>one, then your application shows up in the correct place.

SUSE 9.0 does already have a Languages menu. It is logical that it
wouldn't query for Languages but only for X-KDE-Edu-Language and
X-SuSE-Language to fill it's Languages menu?
I could of course add those categories to my *.desktop files, but this
doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Should I always put a menu file by default in the
desktop/menus/applications-merged directory for the case that a category
might not be included in a distro to solve this?

Julius