Trash spec 0.4

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Sep 10 11:25:45 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 01:44 +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
>
> >>Perhaps it's best to say that when restoring a file, it may only ever be
> >>restored to the exact same device the trash is on?  Following symlinks
> >>is OK so long as they are not followed off the device.
> >>

> >Indeed (can be done by comparing st_rdev of source file and destination directory I guess)
> >

> I'm a stupid user, I trash ~/mpg/foo.mpg, then i found my ~ full, move
> ~/mpg/* to another partision and symlink it from ~
>
> Will be suprised and upset if I cant undelete foo.mpg :-(
>
> OK, if it can't be restored to its original location, thats OK, but I
> sure want a save dialog or something - being able to untrash trash is a
> critical operation for the users trust in the desktop!

You can do whatever you want with the files in the trash, except use the
automatic "put back" operation. I think you'll survive this rather
unlikely situation with that.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a world-famous chivalrous farmboy on the wrong side of the law. She's a
cynical goth advertising executive who hides her beauty behind a pair of
thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!