User Installed Icon/Themes

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Sep 17 12:20:32 EEST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 03:44, Curtis L. Knight wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to get clarification on where user installed icons are to be
> placed based on the Desktop Base Directory specification and the Icon
> Theme specification with XDG_* environment variables present.
>
> The directories are searched in at least this order from the Icon Theme
> specification:
> $HOME/.icons
> $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons
> /usr/share/pixmaps
>
> The Icon Theme specification states that icons for KDE/GNOME menus
> should be installed into $prefix/share/icons.
>
> There is no overlap between what icons are available to the user
> (searched) and what directories the user can write to (install).
> Currently, $XDG_DATA_HOME is not included in the search directories
> described within the Icon Theme specification.

$XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons implies searching $XDG_DATA_HOME/icons as well, as
explained in the base dir spec.

See http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html:
===================================
Referencing this specification

Other specifications may reference this specification by specifying the
location of a data file as $XDG_DATA_DIRS/subdir/filename. This implies that:

* Such file should be installed to $datadir/subdir/filename with $datadir
defaulting to /usr/share.

* A user specific version of the data file may be created in
$XDG_DATA_HOME/subdir/filename, taking into account the default value for
$XDG_DATA_HOME if $XDG_DATA_HOME is not set.

* Lookups of the data file should search for ./subdir/filename relative to all
base directories specified by $XDG_DATA_HOME and $XDG_DATA_DIRS . If an
environment variable is either not set or empty, its default value as defined
by this specification should be used instead.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |   Novell BrainShare Europe 2004   |  bastian at suse.com