Fwd: Re: tigert's mockups and HTML

Christian Hammond chipx86 at gnupdate.org
Tue Sep 21 19:15:53 EEST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com> -----

From: Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com>
Cc: Christian Hammond <christian at vmware.com>, mike at navi.cx
Subject: Re: tigert's mockups and HTML
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:58:38 +0100
To: Christian Hammond <chipx86 at gnupdate.org>

I agree the mockups are very pretty (as always. we're freaking lucky to
have guys like tigert and jimmac).

I think we could get quite close to his mockup without overcomplicating
the spec. For instance,	the presence icon could be overlayed with the
head image clientside before being marshalled to the server. No real
answer for the other text except maybe to allow the markup to alter the
text colour, then the "25 minutes ago ..." text could go *above* the
actions, and if you then moved the presence icon into the main image you
could still have the "Jeff is online" text as well. So, it'd look pretty
close.

Problem with being able to alter the text colour is that people would
end up assuming the background was always white. In fact, it might not be.

Of course I'm sure people can come up with even spiffier layouts that
you can't fiddle like that, but we have to draw the line somewhere ...

Feel free to forward these mails to him if you like. I sort of wish this
conversation was happening in the old-skool way, on mailing lists. Blogs
are fine but they tend to get a bit cliquey - you're either on or off,
and people who are off them end up missing out on interesting discussions.

thanks -mike

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 at gnupdate.org      <>  http://galago.sourceforge.net/