Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Mon Apr 18 20:06:14 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 12:50 -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> An orthogonal problem to DConf design is the actual *layout* of the shared
> keys.  This is actually the harder problem, and nobody has really started it
> yet.
>
> If there was a shared bookmarks key layout standard that people could agree
> on in advance, it would be easy to migrate that to DConf later.  So I think
> it's very valuable to work on this project immediately.

You are absolutely right, Avery (and I've been worrying about the
problem too).

Most of the "porting" issues will be getting the applications who are
now setting "shareable" such keys to conform to that specification.

For example: In what key will the proxy-settings for world wide web
browsers be set? And how are we going to get Mozilla, Firefox,
Konqueror, Galeon and Epiphany start using THAT key? (expand this to all
shareable keys -- and there's a lot of them --).

Its for this type of tasks that the freedesktop organisation should play
a key-role. I would be very interested in a study/analysis about this
problem and how it can be solved. Perhaps we should just start a list of
such keys? I don't know (but we need a solution BEFORE D-Conf gets
implemented).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at pvanhoof dot be