xdg-mime (Was: (no subject))

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Fri Apr 14 10:26:35 EEST 2006

>On Friday 14 April 2006 00:44, Rodney Dawes wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 21:07 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> > In case you are referring to xdg-mime from the xdg-utils package,
it
>does
>> > whatever the running desktop's utility does :)
>>
>> I am referring to that, yes. But what does it do, if one is writing a
>> new desktop, whose behavior is meant to be defined by these
>> specifications? Does it do the intended lookup via mimeinfo.cache?
>
>As Waldo wrote a new desktop can provide its own xdg-utils
implementation
>at first and/or merge their thing in the main version.
>
>However I am confident that this will consolidate into a shared
>specification as well, so from some point on there would be a single
>xdg-mime implementation sufficient for all desktops following that
spec.

>New desktops would then be advised to also implement this spec rather
than
>to extend/replace xdg-mime

Yes, that's a good point. The shared mime spec is definitly where we
want to go and it would be an ill-adviced decision for a desktop to come
up with a different way. Xdg-mime is in the first place a way to speed
up that transition process from an application point of view.

To achieve that, I would like to add to xdg-mime a way to install shared
mime-spec compliant mime-type definitions. For desktop's that don't
support the shared mime-spec yet (KDE 3, old Gnome versions) xdg-mime
could then convert it into the legacy format required by those
environments.

Cheers,
Waldo