Menu spec update (summary; closure?)

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at
Sat Mar 25 08:14:58 EET 2006

On 3/25/06, Jeremy White <jwhite at> wrote:
> > I would think that these people would often be using distro-provided
> > tools for package management, so everything just working becomes the
> > distros concern. Users who install non-distro packages usually have to
> > put up with other things anyway.
> Sorry; I just cannot let that comment pass.
> The reason users have to 'put up with other things', is because
> it has been virtually impossible to build a 'non-distro' package
> that behaves in a rational fashion.  That is exactly the problem
> I would like to solve.
> Making this the users problem is just not an interesting option, IMO;
> that's what we have today, and it stinks.
Sorry, I should have been clearer here. My point was not 'this is the
users problem', but that it is a wider problem than can be solved in
the menu spec, and is - IMO - not a problem that should be solved in
several places. The right solution would be a distro that allows
non-distro packages to remain sane. The menu spec can offer at best a
partial solution, and IMO attempting to fix what is essentially a
package-management problem ("you didn't install this via our system,
therefore random things will happen to it") in a spec concerning a
data format problem ("where should I look for information to go in my
menus, and what will it look like") is wrong.

Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who
lights his candle at mine receives light without darkening" - Thomas