simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Jean-Francois Dockes jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 24 13:25:41 EET 2006

Here follow my impressions after reading the Wasabi Draft document.

Query language:
--------------

I think that the choice of using a google-like language is not good. This
kind of query language was primarily designed to be human-typable and have
not much else in their favour. If the Wasabi initiative is going to result
in a general-purpose tool, enabling search user interfaces of various level
of sophistication to connect to the indexing/search engine of their choice,
we need more flexibility.

I see no "a priori" necessity why the Wasabi query language should be the
same or even close to what a user types. Some front-ends may not have a
query language at all (have a gui query builder instead).

As I see it, the main problem that the language presents is the lack of
separation between data and operators/qualifiers. This results in several
nasty consequences, some of which have been noted previously in the
discussion:
 - Lack of national language neutrality
 - Necessity to use a parser different from the indexing text splitter.
 - Lack of extensibility.

The language that is presently described on the draft page also lacks the
capability to express simple boolean queries like :

   (beatles OR lennon) AND (unplugged OR accoustic)

  [I am *not* suggesting the above syntax, this is just for the sake of
   illustration]

Even if you believe that no user will ever want to search for this (I have
proof to the contrary), this more or less contrains query expansion (ie: by
thesaurus or other) to happen on the backend side.

Also we had "c++" "c#" and ".net", I can't see what would protect us from
-acme or +Whoa. To be future-proof, we need a format where search data
strings are clearly separated from operators and keywords.

There has been a lot of work performed on text search query languages for a
long time. I believe that it would be interesting to study the possibility
of reusing one of the languages which resulted from this long evolution
such as CQL (http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/cql/index.html), or one of
the languages related to z39-50 (ie, for a description:
http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/tools.tkl), *or any other choice which has
seen some usage beyond user-typed queries in web search engines*.

If we don't find an appropriate established language, I see at least two
options for a more structured approach:
 - No query language: use a data structure representing the parsed query tree.
 - Use an xml-based approach for more structure and extensibility.

I'll give an example for the second idea, but *I don't speak xml at all*,
so please, be indulgent:

<query type="and">
  <query type="phrase" distance=3>let it be</query>
  <query type="near" distance=10>blue paper</query>
  <query type="or">someword someotherword</query>
  <query type="andnot">wall</clause>
</query>

which would result into the following in a boolean language (xapian query
language in this case):

((((let PHRASE 3 it PHRASE 3 be) AND (blue NEAR 12 paper) AND (someword OR
  someotherword)) AND_NOT wall))

For a front-end using a google-like syntax, it should be easy enough to
transform "banana moon -recipe" into:

<query type="and">
  <query type="and">banana moon</query>
  <query type="andnot">recipe</query>
</query>

And the reverse operation should be reasonably trivial too, with help from
the omnipresent xml parser library.

This is just an exemple structure, maybe there would be an advantage or
necessity to separate a top-level <query> and ie, <clause> elements,
etc.

I see several advantages to this approach:
- It can quite probably be extended and versioned while retaining some
  level of compatibility (unstructured query parsers are brittle: add
  something, break everything).
- The search data is clearly separated so that you can use the indexing
  text processor to extract the search terms (this is important).
- There is no parser to write as you can use your preferred xml parser.

Things like restriction to some field/switch (<query index="title">), or
case sensitivity (case="ignore), etc.. can be easily expressed at any level
as attributes.

Ok, enough for now, my only hope here is to restart thinking about the
query language.

More specific remarks about the current documents:

Query language again:
- Phrases: I see no reason to make phrases unoptionally
  case-sensitive. Case sensitivity should be an option for any query
  part. Case-sensitivity is a very expensive proposition for an indexer,
  and I don't think that Recoll is the only one not supporting it at all
  (same for diacritic marks by the way).
- wildcards/masking: maybe there should be some kind of option to turn this
  on/off, but the current language does not make it easy. Or at the very
  minimum specify \-escaping or such.
- There is some discussion on the page of choosing attribute names and
  aliases to suit the habits of such and such tool. I don't think that this
  is the right approach: better choose a well defined set of attributes,
  and let the front-ends do the translation (and define a mechanism for
  extensibility too).
- There must be some provision to control stemming. Again, something that
  would be easy to do in a structured language, or already provided for in
  one of the existing ones.

API:
- Documents and files are not the same thing (think email message inside an
  Inbox, Knotes). Both have their uses on the client side though (document
  identifier to request a snippet, or a text preview, file to, well, do
  something with the file). I don't know of a standard way to designate a
  message inside an mbox file, this is a tricky issue. We can probably see
  the document identifier as opaque, and interpreted only in the
  backend. The file identifier needs to be visible. Or is there a standard
  way to separate the File and Subdoc parts in what the draft calls uris ?

- Using the query string as a query identifier is certainly feasible (ie
  for repeated calls to Query() with successive offsets), but it somehow
  doesn't feel right. Shouldn't there be some kind of specific query
  identifier ? Query strings can be quite big (ie, after expansion by some
  preprocessor).

This is a very long message. If you're still with me, thank you.

Regards,
J.F. Dockes