simple search api (was Re: mimetype standardisation by testsets)

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 15:19:10 EET 2006

2006/11/24, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:

> Here follow my impressions after reading the Wasabi Draft document.
>
> Query language:
> --------------
>
> I think that the choice of using a google-like language is not good. This
> kind of query language was primarily designed to be human-typable and have
> not much else in their favour. If the Wasabi initiative is going to result
> in a general-purpose tool, enabling search user interfaces of various
> level
> of sophistication to connect to the indexing/search engine of their
> choice,
> we need more flexibility.
>
> I see no "a priori" necessity why the Wasabi query language should be the
> same or even close to what a user types. Some front-ends may not have a
> query language at all (have a gui query builder instead).

The idea is that the interface be simple. That also means the query
language. I don't think every developer in the world should have to speak
fluent <insert favorite query language>. Instead use a simpler - close to
what we use every day - language, that essentailly doesn't need any parsing
from what the user enters (more on this further down).

I think we should long term standardize on a more advanced language as well.
For this I would like to suggest RDF query, but I really think we shoud keep
that out of a _simple_ interface.

As I see it, the main problem that the language presents is the lack of
> separation between data and operators/qualifiers. This results in several
> nasty consequences, some of which have been noted previously in the
> discussion:
> - Lack of national language neutrality
> - Necessity to use a parser different from the indexing text splitter.
> - Lack of extensibility.

The language that is presently described on the draft page also lacks the
> capability to express simple boolean queries like :
>
>    (beatles OR lennon) AND (unplugged OR accoustic)

Allowing brackets like this is a trivial extension - and is also discussed
on the wiki (shortly though).

  [I am *not* suggesting the above syntax, this is just for the sake of
>    illustration]
>
> Even if you believe that no user will ever want to search for this (I have
> proof to the contrary), this more or less contrains query expansion (ie:
> by
> thesaurus or other) to happen on the backend side.
>
> Also we had "c++" "c#" and ".net", I can't see what would protect us from
> -acme or +Whoa. To be future-proof, we need a format where search data
> strings are clearly separated from operators and keywords.

Searching for "c++" (with the quotations) should give the desired result. I
see the drawback of having phrase searches being case sensitive here though.
Users probably want to see posts matching "c++" OR "C++" (likewise for your
to other examples).

There has been a lot of work performed on text search query languages for a
> long time. I believe that it would be interesting to study the possibility
> of reusing one of the languages which resulted from this long evolution
> such as CQL (http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/cql/index.html), or one of
> the languages related to z39-50 (ie, for a description:
> http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/doc/tools.tkl), *or any other choice which has
> seen some usage beyond user-typed queries in web search engines*.

Well, the current language proposal is actually a subset of the Lucene query
language, and I think it is beyond discussion that the Lucene language is a
success.

If we don't find an appropriate established language, I see at least two
> options for a more structured approach:
> - No query language: use a data structure representing the parsed query
> tree.
> - Use an xml-based approach for more structure and extensibility.
>
> I'll give an example for the second idea, but *I don't speak xml at all*,
> so please, be indulgent:
>
> <query type="and">
>   <query type="phrase" distance=3>let it be</query>
>   <query type="near" distance=10>blue paper</query>
>   <query type="or">someword someotherword</query>
>   <query type="andnot">wall</clause>
> </query>
>
> which would result into the following in a boolean language (xapian query
> language in this case):
>
> ((((let PHRASE 3 it PHRASE 3 be) AND (blue NEAR 12 paper) AND (someword OR
>   someotherword)) AND_NOT wall))
>
> For a front-end using a google-like syntax, it should be easy enough to
> transform "banana moon -recipe" into:
>
> <query type="and">
>   <query type="and">banana moon</query>
>   <query type="andnot">recipe</query>
> </query>
>
> And the reverse operation should be reasonably trivial too, with help from
> the omnipresent xml parser library.
>
> This is just an exemple structure, maybe there would be an advantage or
> necessity to separate a top-level <query> and ie, <clause> elements,
> etc.
>
> I see several advantages to this approach:
> - It can quite probably be extended and versioned while retaining some
>   level of compatibility (unstructured query parsers are brittle: add
>   something, break everything).
> - The search data is clearly separated so that you can use the indexing
>   text processor to extract the search terms (this is important).
> - There is no parser to write as you can use your preferred xml parser.
>
> Things like restriction to some field/switch (<query index="title">), or
> case sensitivity (case="ignore), etc.. can be easily expressed at any
> level
> as attributes.
>
> Ok, enough for now, my only hope here is to restart thinking about the
> query language.

It seems to me that what you are suggesting is actually the RDF query
language (as I mentioned earlier).
I think it would be a good idea to have a method in an advanced interface to
query using RDF (or anything other we decide upon) - I just think we should
leave it out of org.freedesktop.search.simple.

More specific remarks about the current documents:

> Query language again:
> - Phrases: I see no reason to make phrases unoptionally
>   case-sensitive. Case sensitivity should be an option for any query
>   part. Case-sensitivity is a very expensive proposition for an indexer,
>   and I don't think that Recoll is the only one not supporting it at all
>   (same for diacritic marks by the way).

The spotlight way of doing this is to add a c to the end of the phrase fx.
"Hello World"c. I dislike using letters like this, I could accept using a
symbol to mark a phrase as case sensitive.

- wildcards/masking: maybe there should be some kind of option to turn this
>   on/off, but the current language does not make it easy. Or at the very
>   minimum specify \-escaping or such.

Do you want to turn this off in the search engine? I don't think I
understand what you mean...
We could have implicit escaping by quoting the string "c* algrebra"  fx. I'm
not against escaping of special chars as such. except I don't think is
standard in Lucene...

- There is some discussion on the page of choosing attribute names and
>   aliases to suit the habits of such and such tool. I don't think that
> this
>   is the right approach: better choose a well defined set of attributes,
>   and let the front-ends do the translation (and define a mechanism for
>   extensibility too).

There will be a specific set of mandatory attribute/fields/switches, and
backends are free to implement any number of custom switches - how is that
not extensible? When we get to define an "advanced" interface these switches
could be introspectable.

It will be the same case for custom groups (arguments to the group switch -
such as "contacts", "email", "files" etc..). A predefined set of mandatory
names, with options for introspecting any additional fields via an advanced
search interface.

I really *really* think we should focus on the simple dbus interface for
now.

- There must be some provision to control stemming. Again, something that
>   would be easy to do in a structured language, or already provided for in
>   one of the existing ones.

Assuming we are talking about the search language. Is a "language"  switch
not enough? "øl the language:danish" would match posts with "øl" and "the"
while "øl the language:english" would match fx. "ol" and discard "the" as a
stop word.

API:
> - Documents and files are not the same thing (think email message inside
> an
>   Inbox, Knotes). Both have their uses on the client side though (document
>   identifier to request a snippet, or a text preview, file to, well, do
>   something with the file). I don't know of a standard way to designate a
>   message inside an mbox file, this is a tricky issue. We can probably see
>   the document identifier as opaque, and interpreted only in the
>   backend. The file identifier needs to be visible. Or is there a standard
>   way to separate the File and Subdoc parts in what the draft calls uris ?

All indexable objects have a unique URI, that is kind of an unspoken premise
of the current draft. I don't think we should have a standard way to point
at an attachment inside an email. Evolution (the mail client) uses one kind
of uris and I expect KMail to use another - I don't find it realistic that
we expect them to change that. The only assumption I think we should make is
that indexed object be it conversations, emails, notes, etc, should be
uniquely determined by their uri.

- Using the query string as a query identifier is certainly feasible (ie
>   for repeated calls to Query() with successive offsets), but it somehow
>   doesn't feel right. Shouldn't there be some kind of specific query
>   identifier ? Query strings can be quite big (ie, after expansion by some
>   preprocessor).

That is a good point, this more or less implies the need for a server side
Query object... This requires a fair deal of logic to be imposed on the
backends though (session awareness), and I'm not keen on requiring any more
than an interface.

This is a very long message. If you're still with me, thank you.

No, thank you :-)

Cheers,
Mikkel