PATCH: Menu Spec - Categories

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 9 00:04:38 EEST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 14:30, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> that things will work properly. One option is to make ScreenSaver a main
> category with a note that recommends the inclusion of
> "X-KDE-ScreenSaver" as well, KDE must of course be willing to (continue
> to) support that in KDE4 then.

i'd really prefer One Way of doing it so that application developers can
target that and we can move forward and not have N different mechanisms
within KDE4. particularly since in this case it would mean adding something
new that would be marked as "deprecated" at the time of addition. i am
willing to patch KDE 3.5 if it makes sense to do so, though of course that
does nothing about historical releases.

i guess it comes down to whether or not we're targeting KDE3 with this or
figuring that xdg screen saver support is a "for the next releases" thing.

we already have things to sort out within the .desktop files to get it to all
work together, which between William and myself i'm sure we can do, so it's
not particularly like the only blocker at the present time is the location of
the .desktop files and the Categories= entries.

reading over the whole patch to the appendix again, it crystalized quite
clearly in my mind that where there's a bit of a difference of viewpoint is
whether applications/ is meant for, well, applications or if it is really
meant as a dumping ground to describe all available software inc 3rd party
contributions. the Applet category, for instance, is much like the
ScreenSaver one to me. we don't put kicker applets in applications now, and i
don't see that changing particularly. the only benefit i see to providing an
Applets category in applications/ is to provide a Well Known place for those
entries to go for third parties. which seems something of an abuse of
applications/, but otherwise a good idea.

personally as an external developer -or- as someone designing with "making a
great desktop" first in mind, i'd expect there to be a place to throw such
components that weren't applications, which would allow namespacing and which
was Well Known. where i wouldn't have to worry about Categories= which is
suited for building visual hierarchies and networks or running into
application entries that are using Categories= appropriately for those
purposes, but instead have a mechanism to define the purpose of the component
so the applications that use them can easily query for them.

it would make the menu spec more straightforward as well since it would have
one particular purpose in mind only.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Undulate Your Wantonness