Category for a desktop tool needed

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Fri Aug 10 04:10:26 PDT 2007

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 17:53 +0200, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> > * Vincent Untz (vuntz at gnome.org) [20070809 10:53]:

> > > Hrm. I'm wondering if Core would be enough for what you want.
> >
> > Nope :( I need a primary and a secondary category otherwise the .desktop
> > file isn't accepted.
>
> How would adding a new secondary category solve your problem here?
> Utility, Settings, and System are all primary categories. Perhaps we
> need a "Service" category for things like this, which are really some
> type of desktop service.

Upper mentioned line should be a line from table: Proposed secondary
category Desktop, which can be used for primary categories Utility,
Settings or System. Proposed Service category would be useful for it as
well.

Having new primary category Service would be very useful also for thing
like gnome-bluetooth OBEX server, vino,...

> This would also solve the "Accessibility" "issue" that Stanislav brought
> up in his mail, wanting a category for "something that provides an
> additional service, but isn't a standalone app 'window'".

It still does not solve the problem, which secondary category fits the
application (Service), which simply "makes desktop more usable".

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/