[XESAM] Ontology snaphot. Important proposal.

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:26:24 PDT 2007

2007/6/17, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com>:

> On Sunday 17 June 2007 21:27:29 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > 2007/6/17, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com>:
> > > This time pretty picture contains only parts of the ontology I've been
> > > actively changin since it just takes too much time to make nice
> layouts
> > > :)
> > >

> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PhreedomDraft?action=AttachFile&do=view&t
> > >arget=viz-part.png --------------------
> > > Proposal:
> > >
> > > While ontology is still not complete, it's structure is unlikely to
> > > change much. It's quite hard to get it absolutely right in theory...
> > >
> > > So my proposal is to start implementing it. Whatever inconsistencies,
> > > missing
> > > fields, ambiguity or other problems we encounter will be resolved in
> the
> > > process. This way, by the time xesam 1.0 spec is ready, so are actual
> > > implementations.
> >
> > I think we need more documentation on the ontology. This includes:
> >
> >  - better description of each field and cat (just inlined in the rdfs
> for
> > now, we can extract documentation programmatically)
> >  - a document describing the ontology as a whole
>
> I tried to document some stuff in my emails by giving detailed answers.
> Now
> who's going to dig it all and turn into something more human-friendly? :)
>
> > On top of this we also need:
> >  - data types for fields (fx integer, float, string, date, boolean)
>
> Usually, it's evident, but some cases can be quite hard. Also we haven't
> decided on some issues like how to represent email.to,cc,bcc
>
> >  - whether or not it is abstract
>
> This will be one of the lastest things done due to obvious reasons.
>
> >  - others?
>
> Many problems will be evident during implementation.
>
> I expect to provide one more snapshot which will be the basis for
> implementation. It's time to settle ideological issues. Practical ones
> will
> be resolved on the go.
>
> > ---------------------
> >
> > > Controversies:
> > >
> > > Should we have file extension field?
> >
> > Yes, I think so.
>
> ok
>
> > Should we index folders just like other files?
> >

> > You mean that  we have the same fields on files and dirs (ie both share
> the
> > File cat)? I think this could be ok if we add an isDirectory field or
> > something.
>
> I meant that should we include folders in the index at all? How is this
> useful?
>
> > --------------------
> >
> > > Implemented support for multiple  filesystems, removable media
> indexing,
> > > disk
> > > images in files.
> > >
> > > This is accomplished by introducing FileSystem content type, which
> > > represent a
> [...]

Right. Btw, partitions can have labels - the drive title as presented to the
user.

There are a few things that I find missing in the ontology snapshot:
 - A NewsFeed metaphor. I'm thinking a Feed source and a News category.  I
don't know how usenet groups fit into this though. Maybe we need a small
hierarchy: Remote <-- (Feed,NewsGroup,??)
 - A snippet kinda field. This is a special field since it autogenerated on
the fly, so I don't know where it fits in the onto. Maybe it needs special
treatment.

Cheers,
Mikkel

PS: To those who missed it, which I assume to be most people, I've put an
autogenerated wiki-format of Evgenys snapshot ontology on
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamOntologyDraft. It still needs a lot of
work. It is the tool demo/rdfs2moinmon.py in xesam-tools bzr (
http://grillbar.org/xesam-tools) that I used to generate it.