[Wasabi] Project renaming

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:29:54 PDT 2007

2007/3/16, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

> 2007/3/16, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com>:
> >
> > On 3/16/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Also I don't even know what
> > > Xdg stands for :-)
> >
> > I found this:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xdg
> >
> > I am for the politically correct XdgSomething
>

> Ah, thanks, now I know that :-)
>
> I'm not sure if we need some kind of blessing to brand it as Xdg though...
> Is there are formal *group* behind the "g", or is it just a loose group of
> people with similar interests?

Ok,  here's a  round up:

 - Brassica : Already taken.
 - Sinapis : Appears to be clean. Good because it is close to synapse which
is a connection, and bad because it is close to synaptic (the package
manager)
 - Galanga : Appears clean. G could insinuate Gnome connection. Close to
Galago and Galaga which are both interely different software projects
 - Karashi : Appears clean. Could indicate KDE relation.
 - Pequin : Appears clean. Looks and sounds a bit odd.
 - Aji : Appears clean. There's something about it I dislike
 - XdgSearch: Totally clean (zero google hits). The "boring" but serious
name. We do more than searching in the strict sense though
 - {Meta,Data}Sauce : Unlikely :-)

And now my brand new suggestion: "ximas" - eXtensible Interface for Metadata
and Search services. Appears to be clean. It actually means something and
sounds more techy than spice-inspired names. I hope this is a compromise of
the suggestions so far. What do you think?

Unless I get better proposals or good reasons not to use ximas I will
dictate this as the new name so that we can on with the show :-)

Cheers,
Mikkel
Mikkel
 - ximas : Appears clean. SHort