Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at
Fri Mar 30 04:38:47 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 13:14 +0200, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 30/03/07, Danny Kukawka <dkukawka at> wrote:
> > On Freitag, 30. März 2007, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > I think Shutdown and Reboot are power management operations, so they
> > > make sense in the interface, so I would vote for having them
> > > mandatory and the others optional, so that every desktop can implement
> > > what they want/can
> >
> > Reboot (e.g. after install a new kernel) has absolutly nothing to do with
> > powermanagement and the same for shutdown. You want the functions also
> > without any powermanagement.
> How is turning off the computer not power management?
right, that's what I was going to say :-)

Maybe from a technical point of view it is not the same, but from the
user's POV, it is, as it is from the app's POV, etc.

Also, when installing a new kernel, the system won't use the dbus
interface at all, but rather the good-old reboot/halt commands
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at>