[XESAM] New meeting, date+time proposals please

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sat May 19 04:37:57 PDT 2007

2007/5/18, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com>:

> > > I believe there were two issues intermixed: multiple parents for
> fields
> > > and
> > > multiple types or as you say categories for files.
> >
> > True. That is two issues, but I got the impression that the
> Strigi/Nepomuk
> > camp where in favor of both?
>
> > As I consider multiple inheritance (both cats and/or fields) to be a
> > somewhat big feature request it needs to be founded on solid reasoning
> if
> > we should go with it.
>
> I don't consider multiple file types/categories a big feature. Suppose a
> file
> has type/category Audio. This means it belongs to the following
> categories:
> File, Media, Audio. So it already has multiple types. The question is
> whether
> we allow these types to be outside of strict hierarchy.

It all boils down to whether or not we allow cycles in the ontology tree. It
is a lot easier to parse/update a tree structure if there are no cycles.
That is why I consider it a big feature.

Multiple field inheritance, is too in my opinion is not a big feature
> request
> if inheritance is implemented as such. It might be useful if we link
> multiple
> external ontologies. If we stick with a relatively simple core ontology,
> it
> may not be required. Time will tell.

"We" in this context is *only* the nepomuk project mind you (correct me if
I'm wrong please). There are no plans what so ever for integrating with
general ontologies in xesam. You can extend the xesam ontology with other
xesam-compliant ontologies and that's it.

Xesam should of course not restrict Nepomuk from doing this.

> Unfortunately we didn't really get to discuss any
> > practical use cases in the IRC meeting.
> >
> > I have not been able to come up with a good use case (of multi inh.)
> > myself, but maybe some one here can?
>
> Source code: It is a text document(contains text) and software(has
> dependencies on other software).

You mean that it might ref some .h files fx? If that is what you meant I
can't see why a simple subclass SourceCode->TextFile (or something) isn't
enough..?

Cheers,
Mikkel