Define standard hunspell dict location

Dominic Lachowicz domlachowicz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 05:13:07 PDT 2007

As Enchant's author, I have an interest in this as well.

I question whether it's not simpler to:

1) Make sure that Hunspell is built and installed as a system shared
library. Make OOo link against it.
2) Install a "hunspell" program in $PATH that returns a path when
something like "--dictionary-directory" is specified. Aspell does
something similar.

Cheers,
Dom

On 10/5/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I didn't really intend to post this, but since I've subscribed anyway.
>
> The SUN OpenOffice.org people are considering an extremely complex
> firefox-like extension system for distribute their hunspell
> dictionaries. The reasoning being:
>
> 1. dictionnaries have to be distributed separately from OO.o (users
> wouldn't like a full-dict huge download, or dicts have incompatible
> licenses),
>
> 2. linux distributions will never agree on a standard place to put
> dictionaries, so complex registration mechanisms are needed to ensure
> dict distribution works in all cases :
>
>  > It's no problem to have platform dependent pathes for OOo. The problem
>  > is that there is no "Linux" setting for this, only a "$(distro)" way
>  > of doing it.
>
> So can you put the SUN guys out of their misery and define an "official"
> root for hunspell dicts?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.