Define standard hunspell dict location

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Oct 9 07:35:47 PDT 2007

Le Mar 9 octobre 2007 14:13, Dominic Lachowicz a écrit :
> As Enchant's author, I have an interest in this as well.
>
> I question whether it's not simpler to:
>
> 1) Make sure that Hunspell is built and installed as a system shared
> library. Make OOo link against it.

This is not sufficient. The OO.o people want to be able to make an
installer that drops dict files in the filesystem in a place any
system hunspell (shared lib or built-in) can take advantage of. So if
you have a shared lib but you don't know where this shared lib looks
for dicts, this does not work.

(I don't like the installer idea, so it it can be reduced to install
foo to standard_location so much the better)

> 2) Install a "hunspell" program in $PATH that returns a path when
> something like "--dictionary-directory" is specified. Aspell does
> something similar.

Here you assume there is only one consumer of hunspell dicts. Is it
safe to assume? It would be much easier to just define a standard path
IMHO (and give it to the FHS for safekeeping after a while)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot