Icon naming spec: generic binary MIME type icon?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Fri Dec 5 16:05:18 PST 2008

On Friday, 5. December 2008, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> Please keep the content in relation to the mail being replied to in the
> future, and leave out whatever personal feelings you have about the
> maintainer because you disagree with one little thing here or there.

k, I'm aware that cutting down on the stop energy that does indeed shine
through my posts would be a good idea in general. I'll try harder next time -
ideally it won't be necessary if stuff works out nicely.

> The fact is that gnome-icon-theme has nothing to do with the spec,
> other than that it uses it.

Yes, of course. I'm aware that gnome-icon-theme has little relevance to spec
issues, and did not intend to imply any connection, just that it's not
currently possible to use an application-octet-stream icon while assuming that
it will actually be present.

> I have replied to that mail now. Your reply would have been sufficient if you
> hadn't made derogatory remarks about the maintainership of the spec
> and gnome-icon-theme.

Yeah, I have a hard time dropping a bias once it's there - my apologies for
messing up otherwise useful posts with subjective views, that always backfires.

On the other hand (and no, I don't enjoy being a pain in the neck), your reply
does not say anything about whether such an icon (be it application-octet-
stream or a more generic one) could go into the spec or not, which was the
original question.

I'm outta here (in everyone's best interest), but I'd appreciate if this
thread as well as future spec inclusion requests end with a clear
"will go into the spec" or "won't go into the spec" statement.

Peace,
  Jakob