xdg base dir spec

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 2 10:47:09 PDT 2008

Kees Scherpenhuijzen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm working on a project to add actions to an
> plugin(http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/projects/thunar-actions-plugin).
> Now i'm trying to make an feature which can read/parse the .desktop
> files(which contains the actions).
> But i'm stuck at the question where to save the .desktop files. It is
> user-specific so the HOME paths sounds good to me. but in which
> category, CONFIG or DATA?

I'd say CONFIG.  DATA is for stuff that's relatively unchanging.  You'd
put stuff in DATA that, if it were a system-wide file, you'd put in
/usr/share/.

> And a common question: when i try to echo some of these variables it
> returns a empty line. Does this mean it will take the default?

No.  If you're using libxfce4util (I think Thunar may link to it
already, so no added dep in doing so), you should use
xfce_resource_lookup() and xfce_resource_save_location().  Otherwise,
use the glib-based equivalents, though I believe they require glib 2.12
or so.

	-brian