Notifications spec: Icons

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Apr 2 15:35:26 PDT 2009

Le Torsdag 2 april 2009, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Thursday 02 April 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I can't say I agree with the second part, some people try to put Galago
> > as the general notification infrastructure, so if it's to be modified,
> > why not modify it enough to be suitable as one?
>
> we'd still need/want a d-bus interface for getting things from knotify to
> visualizations such as the plasma system tray.
>
> the nice thing about having part standardized is that the visualization is
> one thing people really seem to want to mess with.

Correct, but we should delimit the scope of the specification anyway.
So visual notification, and that's it.

As far as plasma is concerned:  no sound played, (knotify take care of playing
the sound), no configuration (knotify takes care as well).

> _that_ said ... i think it would be awesome to document and specify the
> knotify system and offer it for wide spread adoption. it would allow us to
> configure notifications in one place, allow the desktop session to decide
> just what that means exactly and lift a lot of apps out of the stone age
> when it comes to notifications. but that should probably be done in a
> separate thread and a separate spec document so that we don't get all
> confused :)

The documentation of the configuration thingy is there:
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKNotification.html

the documentation of the dbus protocol is there: (ok that's not really
a 'documentation')
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdebase-runtime-apidocs/knotify/html/knotify_8h-source.html

IMPORTANT NOTE:   This is NOT the visual notification stuff, and it is out of
the scope of the galago
so, yes, this should go in another thread.