Notifications spec: Icons

Bo Thorsen bo.thorsen at canonical.com
Fri Apr 3 06:45:54 PDT 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009 09:26:41 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Fredag 3 april 2009, Christian Hammond a écrit :
> > We'll also break in the case of upgrading on a modern distro to a newer
> > libnotify or notification-daemon. I suppose that could be worked around
> > by having notification-daemon listen on both namespaces for a while, and
> > have libnotify first check if the VisualNotifications namespace is being
> > handled and then falling back on Notifications.
>
> This is not an issue,
> In the libnotify server you can keep the old depracated dbus interface for
> compatibility,  and add the new one.

I see this as the cleanest way to modify the spec. If we change the way the
org.freedesktop.Notifications work, it's harder to write a clean implementation
that supports non-modified applications as well as the new spec. With something
like org.freedesktop.VisualNotifications, we have a clean start.

Bo.