[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Spider spider at centralen.net
Mon Oct 5 03:03:08 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 15:05 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> 2009/8/3 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
> > Le lundi 03 août 2009 à 13:36 +0000, Colin Walters a écrit :
> >
> >> Concretely what I suggest is this:
> >>
> >> o GNOME 2.28 panel is adapted to have multiple lines (default
> >> GenericName/Name?  Dunno...my take would be Name/GenericName in North
> >> America given that most Name is only meaningful in English, reverse
> >> outside)
> >> o If writing a *new* .desktop file, and you don't care a lot about
> >> older OSes, set Name=Epiphany, GenericName=Web Browser
> >> o If writing a new .desktop file, and you DO care, well...kind of a mess =/
> >> o For an existing .desktop file which has Name=Epiphany Web Browser,
> >> add a new entry ShortName=Epiphany  (maybe we call it AppName?)
> >
> > If anything needs “Epiphany Web Browser” please put “Epiphany Web
> > Browser” in a translatable key, period.
>
> Well with this suggestion, it would only be older GNOME releases that
> would need the full key, and we would not be breaking compatibility
> with any translations which had a Name+GenericName value for the Name
> field.

Bit late for me to jump in here, but can I add that for some languages
the combination wouldn't be grammatically correct?

For example:
Name=Epiphany
GenericName=Web Browser
FullName=Epiphany web Browser

In some languages the Generic Name will be a singular, but the
concatenated name of Generic+Name  will need the Generic part to be a
plural.

This means that you cannot, not with separation on the same line ( -
or : ) do a grammatically correct concatenation of the two names.  It's
not enough to be able to set the order of the two, or modify the
capitalization.

//Spider