RFC: An app category for "adult" material?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 08:30:08 PDT 2011

On 1 November 2011 16:11, Paul Elliott <pelliott at blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 08:15:15 AM Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The latest tickets in what's been a recurring item for our application
>> search in Ubuntu is
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/883800. It
>> basically boils down to the fact that you may not want PornView (or
>> other adult apps) popping up as you type a search during a
>> presentation (or have your kids look at it for that matter).
>>
>> I think that no one wants to get into censorship  - and there are many
>> ramifications of this problem. For example, it might not be
>> appropriate if bible-related apps show up while a rabbi is giving a
>> talk. Make up your own examples ad lib. This all get's really complex
>> really fast.
>>
>> So keeping it to a problem that we can easily solve a user proposed
>> something that I also think the upstream app authors wouldn't mind:
>> Introducing a new XDG category "Adult". That way it is a sensible
>> upstream opt-in, and distros and app stores can handle it like they
>> see fit.
>>
>> What say you?
>
> One of the first free software programs created was spice, a circuit simulator.
> Today, spice derivatives, must still mis-classify themselves as "Educational".
> XDG has been notified of this problem years ago. The problem is systematically
> ignored.
>
> It would be a supreme irony if XDG created a special category for pornography,
> while continuing to require that all scientific programs be called educational.

Sorry, I feel to see how that's relevant to my question?

(not that I want to continue down this particular subject, but I see
several categories on
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html#category-registry
that sounds applicable, and it's up to the distributions to decide how
to group apps in the UI and not a problem with the spec. Fwiw Ubuntu
has a Science & Engineering section in the apps lens where the Oregano
(a spice deriv) shows up because it has
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Science;Education;Electronics;)

--
Cheers,
Mikkel