RFC: An app category for "adult" material?

Paul Elliott pelliott at blackpatchpanel.com
Tue Nov 1 08:11:09 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 08:15:15 AM Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The latest tickets in what's been a recurring item for our application
> search in Ubuntu is
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/883800. It
> basically boils down to the fact that you may not want PornView (or
> other adult apps) popping up as you type a search during a
> presentation (or have your kids look at it for that matter).
>
> I think that no one wants to get into censorship  - and there are many
> ramifications of this problem. For example, it might not be
> appropriate if bible-related apps show up while a rabbi is giving a
> talk. Make up your own examples ad lib. This all get's really complex
> really fast.
>
> So keeping it to a problem that we can easily solve a user proposed
> something that I also think the upstream app authors wouldn't mind:
> Introducing a new XDG category "Adult". That way it is a sensible
> upstream opt-in, and distros and app stores can handle it like they
> see fit.
>
> What say you?

One of the first free software programs created was spice, a circuit simulator.
Today, spice derivatives, must still mis-classify themselves as "Educational".
XDG has been notified of this problem years ago. The problem is systematically
ignored.

It would be a supreme irony if XDG created a special category for pornography,
while continuing to require that all scientific programs be called educational.

My mind reels with sarcastic replies.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott at BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J