[Xesam] Practical applicability issues

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:45:43 PDT 2008

2008/6/18 Jamie McCracken <jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 23:23 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>> 2008/6/18 Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi all.
>> >
>> > I'd like to raise again a long-standing issue of structure support.
>> >
>> > Some of missing features that require structure support are actually being
>> > _requested by potential users_(who are encouraged to chime in ;-) :
>> >
>> > * Geo tagging and geo information for addresses;
>> >
>> > * Status and presence information for contacts;
>> >
>> > * Adequate support of iCalendar spec, which is currently more or less
>> > nonexistent.
>> >
>> > Needless to say support means not only storage and retrieval, but
>> > filters/query conditions.
>> >
>> > This can't be resolved merely by introduction of some string format for a
>> > field that represents structured data, since eg useful features like geo
>> > proximity search won't work..
>> >
>> > I consider this to be a blocker issue that significantly limits applicability
>> > of xesam and interoperability with platforms that don't have structure
>> > support limitations.
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A longish mail. Let me try to give you my understanding of the
>> problem, its implications, some technical notes, and with all these
>> things cleared up I will give you my detailed opinion on this matter.
>> Let me first state that I am a bit torn on this issue. On one side I
>> can see that we have some impractical limitations, and on the other
>> side we already have implementations of Xesam and a stability promise
>> to keep. This is an important issue, so please hang on.
>>
>> No matter if we include this or not, it is important for all to
>> understand the implications. So I urge you to discuss this properly.
>>
>> EXPLANATION:
>> I think it would be useful with some more explanation of the problem.
>> Say we want to add geo tagging to the address(es) of the Person class.
>> Currently Person has the address-related fields:
>>
>> workPostalAddress (list of strings)
>> homePostalAddress (list of strings)
>>
>> Adding geo info: workGeoN, workGeoE, homeGeoN, homeGeoE. You can see
>> where this is going, from 2 to 6 fields, and Person addresses is not
>> the only place where this scheme plays out. Assume we instead define a
>> struct (which Xesam currently does not support) called Address with
>> the following fields:
>>
>> postalAddress
>> geoN
>> geoE
>>
>> Then person would be much simpler and structured (pun unavoidable):
>>
>> workAdress (struct Address)
>> homeAddress (struct Address)
>>
>> COMPATIBILITY
>> This will add a new data type to the ontology, which will of course
>> break backwards compat. It is not a big thing for clients since they
>> will now just receive a dbus struct and then have to access a given
>> member of that to get at the data they did before. Server side will
> [...]

How about lists of structs? Ie structs in your triple store.

To have any real benefit this actually needs to go in 1.0 as it would
require incompatible changes to the ontology. As an alternative
solution we could simply remove the affected fields from the 0.95
ontology and then re-introduce them as structs in 1.X for X>0 (ie ship
a reduced onto in 1.0). Either way would add incompatible changes to
the onto though.

This really all depends on how much in a rush we are for 1.0. We
already have a versioned relase out there so it may not be that big a
problem to delay 1.0 because of this. I am personally not in a rush,
but other people have other needs and we need to clear that up before
deciding anything.

Cheers,
Mikkel