[Xesam] oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 06:45:45 PDT 2009

On 11 июня 2009 14:52:12 Antoni Mylka wrote:
> Evgeny Egorochkin pisze:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Does SF have this?
> >
> > I was thinking about something like being able to reference patches by
> > their hashes or something. So that a ticket resolution could link to the
> > web interface showing the patch while still being able to move
> > repositories around.
> >
> > The less convenient approach is to provide a patch hash and people would
> > use a git gui to find it, but it's not as friendly to "light"
> > contributors.
> >
> > So far I didn't manage to find such a functionality in SF. Quite possibly
> > it doesn't exist in any of popular trackers :/
> >
> > -- Evgeny
>
> What you describe is possible in trac with the git plugin. See for instance
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/beaker/log/beakerlib
>
> It's the log of a random file in a random project at fedorahosted.org.
> You can link to patchsets by their hash.
>
> or see of the git projects at
>
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/
>
> I love trac because:
> 1. you can link anything (changeset/issue/wikipage) to anything

Indeed there are lots of possibilities http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracLinks
These let us completely decouple the data/documentation we produce from the
hosting location.

> 2. you get a single timeline with all project activity (commits,tracker
> activity and wiki activity), one RSS to rule them all, one RSS to find
> them, one RSS to bring them all etc.
>
> The ideal solution would be a trac instance with the git plugin with a
> git repository if git is the cool thing everyone wants to have.

Git would be very convenient to sync ontologies in gnome and kde repositories
and exchange translation patches between them. Of course this is on top of the
flexibility of git in general.

> SF has trac and git, but it doesn't allow you to install the trac git plugin
> which is bad. We could all vote for it to be implemented though:
>
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/ideatorrent/sourceforge/ideatorrent/idea/41/

Voted.

> Cons of gitorious imho
> - no built in issue tracker
> - no tracker activity on the timeline
> - bare-bones wiki, no cool linking

If you don't expect integration eg if we used fdo bugzilla, then all that's
needed is git hosting.

> - I'm scared of git because i haven't used it (well, no real con :) )

Unless you're a windows user, git works very well, has a gui so that you can
see how you managed to delete a commit or damage your private branch.

But once you figure it out, the only thing you'd think when seeing another SVN
repo would be "oh at least there's git-svn plugin" or something ;)

> Does anyone know of a trac hosting solution that allows the admins to
> install plugins? Otherwise I vote for SF/trac/svn. (or SF/trac/git, and
> campaign for them to implement the trac/git integration in their
> offering). Or maybe freedesktop.org would allow this, i.e. a custom trac
> installation with the git plugin.

So we can go with SF+svn and hope we'll be able to switch to git shortly or we
can try setting up trac on xesam.org... fdo.org, I doubt it, but maybe someone
else knows better.